Sunday, January 20, 2013

Blog Assignment #1

About Me:

    My name is Logan Kirkland and I am a Junior at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in physical education with teacher certification and really hope to one day be a coach. I hope to coach baseball either in the high school or college level and really hope to one day make a difference in some young people's lives.
    I was born here in Mobile, Alabama and have lived here all my life. This was one of the main reasons I chose USA. I also play baseball here at the University. I play second base for the Jags and really hope this is the year we breakout and show signs of the Jags of old.

Future Classroom:

   I am a physical education major so my future classroom will be either a gym or a field of some sort. I will use the tools that were taught to me over my college tenure and I'm sure, I will incorporate my own philosophy into teaching the kids the proper way to be fit, and to stay fit. I grew up around sports and learned new ways to stay physically fit over the years, so this will help me in my teaching methods over the years.
   The things that I like about physical education is that I can teach the kids in a "hands-on" kind of way. I believe that this method is one of the more effective ways of teaching and that the kids understand it easier. Every concept that I try to teach the kids, I will make sure that they know I also practice the same concepts. This way, they know that they can come to me and ask questions about anything they are unsure about.
    I will be teaching in the high school level so I'm hoping my students have already learned and established their own set of motor skills. My job will be pointing out their strengths and weaknesses and hopefully helping each individual turn a weakness into a strength. I understand that each student will be different in skill level and that some kids will take more learning and practice than others, but I think that with me understanding that, I will help the majority of kids who actually want to be helped.
    I think I have an advantage in this field because of the physical educators I have had in the past. I have been able to see many different teaching philosophies and compile the best methods over the years. This is why I think I have a leg-up on my peers in this field, and think that I will be a great help to my future students. I will show my future students the best ways to be and stay physically fit and lay out a blueprint to staying that way in the future.

Time Management Video:

   Dr. Randy Pausch's video on time management is very helpful and overall insightful. I am very glad I watched this. He brings up key thoughts that goes on almost everyday inside of a college students mind. This video showed me different ways to help manage my time and set my goals.
   He says "failing to plan is planning to fail." If you really think about this statement it makes a load of sense. I am bad about not managing my time and goals well, and I think that this statement really made me realize that and is going to make a positive influence on the way I do things from now on. I got a lot out of this video!

1 comment:

  1. Hands on learning should be the key part of all learning.

    Good luck this season!

    Well written. Welcome to EDM310!

    ReplyDelete