Sunday, February 3, 2013

Blog Post #3

Paige Ellis/Peer Editing:

   All of the links, A, B, and C were very helpful in defining and giving a helping hand about peer review and editing. In Paige Ellis's blog she makes it known that peer editing can be difficult and sometimes uncomfortable. This is true in many cases such as, bad papers, friends papers, and just simply not wanting to be sound mean or harsh.
   The videos are all very similar in making it known how peer editing is very important and useful in all grade levels. They show helpful ways to critique your classmates and even helps in how to compliment your peer that you are editing. All in all, it was very helpful to watch the videos and read Paige's blog. It also can help in your writings by not wanting to make these mistakes and get a great review!

Assistive Technologies:

   In these videos, I learned that there are barriers in classrooms all over the world. These barriers can be removed and overcame by the usage of assistive technology. These videos made me aware that as a teacher I cannot think that all children are the same and learn at the same speed. It made me aware that I will have to be prepared for children with barriers and find ways to overcome those barriers. Assistive Technology such as talking calculators, sensory aids, screen magnifiers, and Ipads will make it somewhat a little easier to help the kids with vision and hearing defects.

The Mountbatten:

   This device should be very helpful for students with vision impairments. Its is a Braille writer and it provides quick feedback for blind students. This makes it much easier for blind students to be involved in regular classroom activities with the students with no impairments. It is also computer compatible, so that's a plus! I am a PE major so I'm not certain how I would involve this device in my curriculum, but if there is a way I will certainly do so!

Issues In My Classroom:

   After watching these videos, I have now became aware that most educators will have to educate a student with an impairment. These videos helped me learn new ways to diminish these barriers put in between these students with disabilities and education.
   The thing is, I am going to be a physical educator and be in the gym and outside and not in a classroom. I believe the Ipad and voice-overs will be a tool used by me. I will get the impaired student's parents involved and teach her the ways to use these things at home. I believe us as future educators need to be completely up to speed on how most of assistive technology works, therefore, when we have a student who is deaf or blind, we do not stutter but find the best way to benefit each other.

Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts:

   In this video, Vicki Davis is teaching her students how to readily use almost every form of technology available. Some people may think her way of teaching is non-traditional and it is, but I believe it is the way of the future. She allows her students to lead classroom discussions and wants her students to find their own solutions to problems. This new innovation of teaching method should be adopted by all schools and grade levels all around the country in my opinion.
   Ms. Davis believes that not only does she teach the class but the class teaches her, and also that peers are the greatest teacher to each other. She teaches her students to use blogs and software, some don't learn that until adulthood, and some never do! She created two different programs to help her students get out and understand the internet abroad. She wants to make sure her students learn the great uses and values of technology. Her video has honestly inspired me to go away from traditional ways of teaching physical education and find ways to bring technology into play.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Logan! I really enjoyed reading you blog post this week. I noticed you said you are a Physical Education major and you wanted to some how incorporate technology into your lessons. How would you plan to do this? I think it's a very interesting idea!
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete