Sunday, February 17, 2013

Blog Post #5

Krissy Vinosdale:

   Not only a degree makes you a teacher, the initiative to help younger people succeed also has to matter deep down inside of you. That's what Krissy does; she's always learning more and more to make her better at her profession. She thinks of school as being a comfy environment to allow the student to be a sponge. She basically wants it to be a place that kids want to attend every day, and while they are there, learn something valuable to them. I think she is an innovator, and I hope somehow, someway she gets her wish in the near future.

My Own School:

   I've never really thought about creating my own school, but once you do, there are many ideas you come up with. Like Krissy, I would want to make it appealing to young people on the inside and out. The environment would be laid back and the curriculum would be on the point of future use for the students. I'm thinking of elementary school when I say this, but my jungle gym would be out of this world. I would require my teachers to reward there class daily with a trip to this magnificent structure. I would cut school hours, and raise teacher's pay. Students would decide the lunch menu! Wouldn't you want to come to this school?

Virtual Choir:

   This video is amazing. I wish I could claim this video. This video shows that technology is simply limitless! The choir is from all around the world, they never meet, and that's what makes it great! Eric Whitaker is the man and an innovator.

Teaching in the 21st Century:

   In this video, Kevin Roberts believes that teachers need to change their way of teaching. I thought at first, Kevin didn't see the need in teachers at all, but that's not the case. He just points out that students can find out anything they want through the use of technology. Students rely on teachers for information too much these days, when it's a click away. Of course, teacher's have to be in the classroom for many reasons like teaching life lessons, educating how to do things, and moderating. I think as future educators, Robert's has showed me that it is time for change. Use technology in your everyday curriculum. Make the students do their own research on things they need to know. Use technology for problem solving!

Flipping the Classroom:

   I believe this will work. I think that classrooms are so different these days it allows this to work. This method helps all kinds of students. It helps the slower learner and the learners that catch on easier. The only problem is the students who do not have the use of technology in there home. This makes them stand out and also gets them behind. I think this method can work but the schools will have to provide the technology to all students, so they can bring their work home with them.

2 comments:

  1. What about no grade levels and advancement based on readiness and abilities? What about the emphasis on creativity and critical thinking? What about the massive use of technologies including computers, iPads, SMARTboards, video equipment for learning, not entertainment?

    Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Logan! Don't you love how creative Krissy is? I could read her blogs all day! I agree with her view on schools being comfy so the students want to learn instead of feeling like they are being forced to learn.
    What other classes would you offer at your school? Math and sciences can be tough for some students to grasp. How would you make subjects like these, along with grammar and history, become more appealing tot he students? I love your idea of a huge, decked out jungle gym. That's every child's dream! I believe students need "outside" time to burn off energy, so maybe it should be worked into their daily reschedules instead of being seen as a reward? What about technology in the classroom? I would love to hear some more of your ideas.

    Good post!

    ReplyDelete