Sunday, August 18, 2013

C4T #3

Summary #1

Brenda Jones writes about Looking Forward/Looking Back. She talks about "No Spoons", basically this was a project to help her students create and learn on their own, she did not want to spoon feed them information. She was looking for her students to think, source their own information and answer some of their own questions. She encountered some problems as the students did not think this was the conventional way to teach, they were use to being "Spoon Fed". Her conclusion was that she feels that she should have eased into the new method a little slower to ease the fears that the students felt. She plans to use this approach in the future, but plans to tweek it a little to let the students get use to it before diving in.

Commet

I find the traditional teaching much easier to learn and make a better grade in class. But, I tend to learn more and reatin more knowledge when I am tasked to learn on my own and figure things out for myself. I personally think the approach that you used "No Spoons" to be very valuable and I will plan to use a version of this when I start my teaching career. Thanks for the article, Logan Kirkland.

Summary #2

Brenda Jones writes about Road Safety and using technolgy to have her students define risks, after the define the risks they make a movie using Tropfest. When she explained this to her students she could see that they had some major concerns, this was something new. The students formed groups and started putting what they believed posed risk down on paper in the form of questions. Why do people speed? Why are young people in so many crashes? Etc. They discussed the questions and came up with a word to describe each question Cars, Sad, Risk, Shock, Stupid, Angry, Tired. The students were then tasked with making the movie based on the questions and words. The class totally bought into this concept and had fun with it.

Comment

This article was very interesting to me. It shows how you can use technology to get your students thinking and learning. They actually learned a lot more than just road safety, they also learned valuable lessons on how to use different technologies to get their work done. I wish I had learned this before moving on to college. Great article and very well thought out! Logan Kirkland.

No comments:

Post a Comment